Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Other Love...Sewing!

You all know how much I love to crochet but before I learned to crochet...

 sewing...

 was my hobby.


In Junior High I had an Home Ec course - my introduction to sewing.

I made a navy blue skirt.

 I don't remember if I used a sewing machine to make it.

I remember asking my Mom to hand sew the hem for me.


My Mom worked outside the home and the only sewing she did was mending.

So when did I learn to sew?

Of all places...college.  

Luckily my college room mates were sewers.

And great teachers too.  

However, I haven't done too much sewing the last decade. 

I never had any lessons with my original Janome New Home computized sewing machine - it was on-the-job training for me.

However, with the store where I recently purchased my new Janome Horizon Memory Craft 12000 nearby my home, I was able to sign up for some free sewing machine classes.

Last week I attended my first one.

We had an excellent teacher and made a cute little pouch using the buttonhole attachment and sewing the button on with the machine. 


This morning I had my second class.

This time we made this adorable little neon pocket purse using a twin needle and two embroidery threads and some decorative stitches.   

This was fun.

And we even put a zipper in the little purse.

The teacher said no one had ever picked out neon embroidery threads in yellow and orange before for this project.  

You know me...I love bright colors. 


I had forgotten how much I enjoy sewing.

I'm signed up to take a free embroidery class in the middle of May.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to embroider.  


I'm taking the little neon pocket purse with me to England.

Here's an overview video of my machine if you are interested in learning more about it:

2 comments:

  1. I learned to sew in junior high as well! Our project was "baby doll pajamas". I also sewed all my friends' pj's in exchange for Yardley lip stick! I won the Home Economics medal, can't sew a thing now! Wish I could. You will be making lots of great things with this machine and embroidery. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that looks like a beautiful machine. I have my grandma's old sewing machine from the 1960's and I still use it. I also have a newer machine, but it's very basic. And as a decoration piece, I have an antique White sewing machine from the late 1800's. My mom is the talented seamstress and I just pretend I know what I'm doing. LOL!

    ReplyDelete